My latest project completed a mere half hour ago. This time its a War Cemetery in scale 1/35, built inside a German helmet found in the Kurland Kessel. I made the tree from wires, the crosses I carved from balsa foam and the leaf coverage is individually cut from leaves I picked in the garden before the snow came:) Inside the helmet I put a LED strip so it doubles as a cozy lamp :)
I completed this diorama some days ago, and its been a long road. Many years ago I carved the tower from balsa foam, I then sold it to Olav Smeets who run the miniature company "Reality-in-Scale" and after a while made casts from it and began selling the model. Of course he sent me a model which put aside until I had an idea for a diorama, and now, many moons later I completed it , and it is really a "full-circle" moment for me. Great fun:) I call the project "Armageddon" and it is in scale 1/35. The figure used is from an old Masterbox kit. Hope you like it:)
A single figure project I finished today. It is a 1/35 scale figure from Dragon which I fixed to a small forest groundwork and placed it on a part from a Russian RPG-43 grenade found in the Kurland Kessel.
I recently completed this Newspaper Kiosk project. It is a lasercut cardboard kit made by Plus Model, I had it for years, built and placed in a box and forgotten about until not long ago when a museum wanted it for its exhibition. I found it from the boxes, dusted it , painted a newspaperseller figure made by MK35 and made a small interesting base to put it all on :) So now it is off to its new home in the museum :)
The last few days I ve made some "New Stuff" out of relics and I wanted to show a few relics that got new life as lamps. A POMZ-2 mine, found in Latvia, mounted on a wooden plinth where I made a 1:1 scale section of forest floor,with some moss and fallen leaves. The other one is a German M43 helmet, teared up and flattened by detonations prehaps, mounted on a repainted light fixture. The third lamp is a Red Army helmet found in the Kurland Kessel. It has some original color left and several shrapnel hits. On the lamp base I fixed a guards badge.
My latest work. "Machinegun Hill" scale 1/16. Painted with acrylics and mounted on a piece of a WW1 shrapnel shell dug out on Machinegun Hill in Latvia. The roundel fixed to the shell is from a German belt buckle and also found on the Machinegun Hill. Hope you like it:)
Today I completed three new relic-art dioramas, all built in relic helmets found on ww2 battlefields. Two of them from Kurland and one from Stalingrad. They will make a part of a exhibition Im working on called "Trauma". The models used are all in scale 1/35.
First off is the heavily damaged helmet from Stalingrad :
The second helmet is a German M42 found in the Kurland Kessel :
Helmet number three is a Soviet Red Army helmet, also found on the Kurland battlefields:
While searching a Wehrmacht-/Red Army POW Camp this spring I found several enamelled drinking cups used by the Soviet POWs, and last week I had them cleaned up from rust and crud and I preserved them. I was wondering what I was going to do with them, and it became clear to me as I walked by one of my display cabinets and glanced at a small diorama I made a few years back. In the same camp I had found a blue enamel cup laying on the surface and I had made a diorama inside the cup of the site where I had found it.
I took three of the best looking cups and prepared them to become dioramas. I wanted to keep them simple but at the same time to tell a story.
I wanted them to remind the viewers about the faith of the Soviet POWs, and about the shamefull act the Norwegian government did to their memorials in the early days of the Cold War, when they under the "Operation Asphalt" relocated all the POW gravesites and destroyed the monuments and memorials the POWs had built.
Pics of the four dioramas follows below. I hope you like them :)
"The Forgotten Cemetery":
"The Fallen Star":
"Operation Asphalt" :
"Comrades - May 1945" :
Earlier this winter I bought an old VW T4 Transporter as I needed a bigger and better car. I was lucky to find a T4 locally which was in quite good condition. I wanted a van I could use for my expeditions and for going on markets etc with so I began looking at "minicamper" solutions on the internet. There was lots of inspiration to be found and soon I had an idea how I wanted to do it. First task was to strip down all the walls etc , clean it and go over it and take care of any rust. Next I covered walls and floor with some insulation, mostly to soundproof it a bit. At the local plank shop I got material for the floor and walls and both the paint - and hardware shop was frequently visited to pick out vinyl for the floor, paint, screws etc.
It took me and my girlfriend a couple of weeks cutting, painting and mounting it all and yesterday the last screw was attached and the HobbyHistorica logo could be slapped on to the sides of the van.
Having very little experience in carpentry and interior building I am fairly proud of the result and cant wait taking it out on a roadtrip. Hope you like it :)
Kittin inspecting it all..
No dogs was painted during the project.
Lots of storage under the bed.
The bed folds out to 180cm.
Last year a friend found this part from a Katyusha rocket engine while searching in the
Kurland Kessel. He wanted it displayed somehow and gave it to me to do something with it. I cleaned off some 70 years of rust and muck from it and figured out a way to display it on a wooden base I had found. I bought a 1/87 scale BM-13 Katyusha and as soon it arrived I used some oil paintsd and pigments to make it look a bit worn and used. I made a small base in the rocket part and had the BM-13 fixed in place with some strong glue.
My friend was happy with the result and it is on its way to him now :)