The camp had housed around hundred soldiers, and probably far more by the end of 1944 when masses of German troops were evacuating the northern front. We had a map showing where some of the barracks had been and we began by trying to locate one of them. After some wandering around we realized that the markings on the map didn`t really fit with the actual terrain so it took us a few kilometers of walking before we found some concrete foundations from a building. I swept the detector around but it picked up quite few signals. A waterfilled hole or crater nearby had some good signals, but except food tins I only found a broken Luftwaffe marked soup bowl or terrin and a condom. On a small hill next to the barrack were more signals but it was mostly rifle casings that looked like they had been cooked off in a fire.
We moved into the vehicle workshop area where the signals from metal in the ground were far more frequent. We had wasted a lot of hours trying to locate the barracks but there were still some time left for searching before we had to get back home.
In a small dug out in a slope the Fisher F5 suggested I should do some digging. First I dug up some scrap metal, and a crate full of heavy accumulators. Then I began removing rocks and broken concrete to get to a very good signal. A few minutes of work later I could wipe sand off a white metal plate with black numbers on. A license plate! I could see the letter "WL" which meant it had sat on a Luftwaffe vehicle. It was in very nice condition, far better than any plate I had found previously. Very satisfied with the find I went hunting for more of the same signal but by now the days luck had been exhausted. I dug up a handfull of mystery parts and a hole that was full of modern army excersise ammo from a heavy machine gun, caliber 12.7.
We didn`t have much more time for fun and games so we slowly moved to the car and headed back to the civilization. But I don`t think it will be long before we go back to do some more rust hunting there.
At home I gave the license plate a wash with soap and water and am pretty happy with the result. Pics of the cleaned relic on the bottom of the page :)
I wish you all a great week. Stay safe :)